6 little ways to say “I love you” (without saying it)
Do you ever want to say “I love you” without having to, you know, actually say it? Or maybe your boo receives love better when you show them you love them instead of saying it. Either way, there are so many little things you can do every day that say “I love you,” no words necessary. (Let’s be real, though: If you love your SO, it’s nice to say it too. This is like a supplement to that—not a replacement.)
First things first: part of showing how much you adore your SO is tailoring the special treatment to their unique preferences and quirks. Try looking for little things that upset them in their daily life and seeing what you can do to make them better.
It’s going to be a little different for everyone—that’s part of the fun—but here are six things you can do to show rather than tell your boo how you feel.
1. Do things you enjoy but wouldn’t do on your own. Maybe your SO loves the movies and you just, you know, like them. Make a point of joining them sometimes (without complaining—that’s key) or even suggesting an outing to a movie you know they’d like to see.
2. Make extra coffee. Instead of making coffee (or breakfast or a drink or whatever) just for yourself, make enough for both of you. If you’re not sure they’ll want what you’re having, ask. It’s a small gesture, but it’s the small gestures that add up.
3. Involve them in your decisions. Making sure your SO is involved in your decisions is a great way to show you care. It’s like saying “I’m considering you when I’m thinking about my future,” without actually having to say it.
4. Don’t be a selfish sleeper. This one is sometimes easier said than done, but sticking to your side of the bed goes a long way in a long-term relationship.
5. Support them during rough times. Whether it’s work stress or a family crisis, we all have times when we can use some extra support. Think about how you can take some of the pressure off during rough moments—do they need a massage, some groceries, or a second pair of eyes on their updated resume?
6. Get on top of your reproductive and sexual health. Protecting yourself and your partner from sexually transmitted infections and accidental pregnancy is actually the best way to say I love you. BTW, we can help with that.
P.S. Think access to birth control is a BFD? It’s time to contact your senators and protect affordable health care.
Heat up your weekends with our best sex tips and so much more.